- The Honourable Darin King, Minister of Justice and Public Safety and Minister Responsible for Fire and Emergency Services-Newfoundland and Labrador
The Corner Brook PSAP is a modern facility operating out of City Hall employing 11 staff which includes 10 call-takers. The PSAP operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year with two call-takers on duty at all times. It is the second PSAP in the province with the other being located in St. John’s.
“I commend the City of Corner Brook for stepping up and playing a major role in implementing the province’s second PSAP. This new centre is a great asset to Newfoundlanders and Labradorians and will play a key role in making our province safer for all residents.”
- The Honourable Vaughn Granter, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture and MHA for Humber West
The Corner Brook PSAP is expected handle an estimated 50,000 calls per year.
- The Corner Brook PSAP officially opened today at City Hall in Corner Brook.
- The Corner Brook PSAP is one of two Public Safety Answering Points for the province-wide basic 911 service with the other being located in St. John’s.
- The Corner Brook PSAP answers all 911 calls outside of the Avalon Peninsula (west of Goobies) including Labrador.
- It is anticipated that the Corner Brook PSAP will answer in excess of 50,000 calls per year.